Our teens live in a world over loaded with social media, homework and after school activities. There is very little time for relaxation so it is important to simplify their living space.
When parents hire me to help their teens get organized I not only clear the clutter but simplify the space as well. The less they have in their room the easier it is to keep organized.
Kids no matter the age do not function well when they are living in a room full of clutter. Motivation is key when it comes to teenagers getting rid of “their stuff”.
1. Communication is the best way to start any project with your teen. They have their own opinions on how they want their room to look and what they want to keep and toss. Listen!
2. Take a before photo before you begin. When they are done they will be amazed what it looked like before.
3. Hire a professional or favorite family member or friend to help them reach their goal. Most of the time they will get more accomplished if you are not there. sorry but true
4. Do not have unrealistic expectations. Three hour increments are probably all you will get. Take advantage of those three hours by getting rid of everything they no longer want, use or love.
5. Start at one end of the room and work your way around. Just cleaning out a closet will not make a dent if their room is full of clutter.
6. Gather all memorabilia throughout the room. That includes second grade trophies, yearbooks etc. and place in a clear container with a lid. Store the container under their bed so they have easy access and can add to it.
7. Clean the Space. Now that the clutter is gone so should the dust bunnies!
8. Clear the wall clutter. People often think that clutter is just in closets. Simplify what hangs on the walls. Too much is visual clutter.
9. Fix what needs fixed or get rid of it.
10. Make a list. Keep an ongoing list of what you need to purchase. You will be happy you did when you are standing in Target and you can’t remember the size of something.
Simplifying your teens living space and clearing the clutter will minimize daily stress and give them a place to unwind.